About the Forum
As we approach the end of the first decade of digital development, USAID and its partners were proud to host "Digital Development: The Next 10 Years." This one day forum on March 9, 2018 in Washington, D.C. brought together industry and thought leaders to explore how to effectively catalyze organizational change, incentivize new approaches, and take smart risks to tackle continued challenges and barriers to development in the next decade of digital development.
We invite you to continue the discussions started at the Forum both in person and online by using #DigitalDevForum, following sponsor and speaker Twitter handles, and sharing your own ideas about the next decade of digital development! Learn more about the Forum and shared materials below.
Twenty years ago, USAID’s groundbreaking Leland Initiative helped accelerate the internet revolution in African countries. It was followed by numerous other programs, like the Dot Com Alliance and Digital Freedom Initiative, to spread the use of information and communication technologies for social and economic development around the world. In the past eight years, through the work of the USAID Global Development Lab and efforts such as the Better Than Cash Alliance and Digital Impact Alliance, the development community has accelerated digital development practices and helped redefine how the developing world connects, transacts, and grows. Thanks to these initiatives and others, digital tools are now common in international development programs, and the specialized field of Digital Development is maturing into a formal component of global humanitarian efforts.
Yet challenges remain. There is still much to learn and share about how we can meet our development objectives by fostering market-led innovation and integrating existing and emerging technologies into our programs.
Morning Lightning Talks
- Getting Past the Hype and Getting Practical with New Technologies by Nora Lindstrom, Global Coordinator for Digital Development, Plan International
- Ensuring Inclusion of Women, Poor and Marginalized by Isabelle Roy, Senior ICT Specialist, Global Affairs Canada
- A Future Vision of Digital Development in 2028 by Jonathan Donner, Senior Director, Caribou Digital
Lightning Talks from the 2017 Digital Development Awardees
- Agricultural Development and Value Chain Enhancement Project (ADVANCE II) by Pearl Ackah, Private Sector Team Leader, USAID/Ghana
- Biodiversity and Watersheds Improved for Stronger Economy and Ecosystem Resilience (B+WISER) by Efrain Laureano, Chief of Party, B+WISER Project, Chemonics
- Feed the Future Uganda Commodity Production and Marketing Activity (CPM) by Peter Nash, Deputy Chief of Party, Feed the Future Uganda CPM, Chemonics
Early Afternoon Breakout Sessions
- Putting People First: Taking an Inclusive Approach to Digital ID
How to Engage and Support Local Innovators
- Summary and Three Takeaways, Anand Varghese, Senior ICT Specialist, DAI
Strategies for Improving ICT Access for Better Connectivity and Better Programs
- Broadband Demand Aggregation Presentation from Jordan Weinstock, Senior Vice President, Strategic Impact Advisors
Late Afternoon Breakout Sessions
- Why Your Digital Development Efforts Aren't Working (Hint: Women)